1 Cindi Bisson McGee - Behind These Eyes

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Introducing....... the soon-to-be-released Sizzix ScoreBoard Scalloped Box!  This week Eileen Hull (the designer of these amazing dies) challenged us to use at least one office supply in our design.  Those of you who know me, know I tend to be a bit compulsive - well, I challenged myself to use at least 95% office supplies and I am happy to say I was able to meet my challenge!  I am part of a huge team of designers participating in a new Sizzix Blog Hop to share ideas every other Wednesday in the coming weeks for working with these new dies.  Please stop by and see what all the fabulous designers have come up with and vote for your favorite (I think I'm the most obsessed office supply user!) on Eileen Hull's blog - http://www.eileenhull.blogspot.com/ . Make sure to vote because there are two prizes: one for the designer creating the project that gets the most votes and one to a random person commenting on any of the participating blogs. What a fun way to get inspired!

 

Supplies:

 
Sizzix ScoreBoard Scalloped Box 
Manilla shipping envelope
Large and small silvertone paperclips
Brass fasteners
Dictionary
Clear box sealing tape
Dymo label maker
Rubber bands
Wire tool, scissors, pencil
Swirl background rubber stamp, gray inkpad
Tattered Angels Gold Glimmer Mist
Elmer's Craft Bond Tacky Glue
Cropodile punch

 
The box was used as a template to cut the covering from the shipping envelope.  I placed the hole in the flap of the envelope directly over the middle point of the scalloped edge.  Once cut, I stamped the portions of the paper that would not be on the scalloped flap front of the box using a swirl background stamp and gray ink.  Elmer's Craft Bond adhesive was used to mount the stamped cover to the box.  Assorted sizes of paper clips were coiled and twirled randomly using a wire tool, then mounted on the front scalloped panel.  A dictionary page was covered with clear packing tape.  From that the butterfly was created, and small pieces were collaged to cover the side panels of the box.  Two brass fasteners were used to hold each side together (Cropodile used to punch holes).  Paper clip antennae were added to the butterfly, which was then mounted to the center of the scalloped edge, just over the hole, using a brass fastener.   To close the box, I cut the brass mechanism from the envelope itself, stamped the paper beneath it to match, and mounted it on the bottom front so the prongs would fold through the hole upward and close the box. A large rubber band was wrapped around one outside edge over the seam in the box, crossed over on the back side, then wrapped around the opposite edge to hide that seam. The label maker was used to create the "fly butterfly fly butterfly fly" label, which was mounted on the top edge and "fly" beneath the buttefly on the bottom center.   Lastly, the finished piece was given a bit of shimmer with a coat of Tattered Angels Gold Glimmer Mist. 

Check out all these other fabulous designs!:

22 comments:

eileen hull said...

Love this Cindi- I do think you are right about using the most office supplies :-) Great ideas! Thanks for working with the ScoreBoards...

Michelle Frae Cummings said...

I think you did a great job!

Subriagirl said...

I'll say you used the most office supplies! Love the look you came up with!

TracyM #6773 said...

Great effort in using so many office goodies for this challenge Cindi !!! Love how you have used the paperclips too :)
TracyM #6773

Melony said...

Wow Cindi- you really took off with the office supply idea- it came out amazing- love the colors

Unknown said...

I think its awesome what you did here!

Roxi Phillips said...

Very clever! I love the label on the top. Great idea!

Sparkle said...

Super creative!

Karen B said...

Wow! I love this so much! That butterfly makes me swoon and the paper clips are the perfect swirly accents. Clever, clever!

Laura Bray said...

I love the paper clip accents. Beautiful!

Jen Goode said...

still loving the color and texture combo. I am a big fan of text collage and I think your butterfly is wonderful!

Unknown said...

OMG how cool is that??! Love it!

Ann Butler said...

What a cute and creative project!

Candice Windham said...

Love the swirls! I think we should crown you "Queen of Paperclips". That took some doing to twist all of those!
Love it!

Brenda Pinnick said...

FUN! Awesome job, Cindi!

chignon said...

This is great, I really like your twist on paperclips!

madelinesthoughts said...

So cool ... great way to use the paper clips.

kim.mom said...

WOW!! Love the paperclips!

Lillian Child said...

Fabulous idea!

Unknown said...

Great to see someone use so many office supplies. You are a gal after my own heart.
Mary Beers

Scrapfaire said...

WOWSERS!!

Unknown said...

Your obsessiveness is much appreciated as is your art!